Thursday, April 12, 2012

Life after College: UW-Whitewater Alumni


Every college student’s biggest fear is not being able to find a job (that and spending a few extra years in their parent’s basement).  Don’t worry though, there is hope!  Especially for those students who are graduating from the University of Wisconsin Whitewater.  Why?  Because UW-Whitewater prepares students for the real world by giving them real world experience.  Don’t believe me.  Here are some examples of UW-Whitewater’s success:

Melissa DiMotto who is a Communications and Public Relations Specialist at Wheaton Franciscan Health Care stated that she was grateful for the opportunity to attend UW-Whitewater and that it prepared her for “the practical part of the job” and many types of PR positions.  I have only been attending UW-Whitewater for less than a year but I can easily understand what she means by practical.  I’ve noticed that there is never busy work only work that matters and prepares us for the future.

Rick Daniels is the current UW-Whitewater Greek Leadership Advisor.  UW-Whitewater taught him that it is vital to stay current and up to date on news.  He believes that being aggressive is an important aspect of succeeding in the PR industry.  His advice to current students is to never take anything for granted, something small can turn into something big.  Meaning one job may not be what you’re looking for but it may lead you to something better.  I agree completely.  Many of the jobs I have had over the past few years haven’t been very enjoyable but they have taught me things that I know have made me a better employee.

Katie Monfre is the corporate relations director at MGIC.  She felt that her experience at UW-Whitewater was improved by the professors.  She stated in her interview that although the course work was useful the teachers were even more so.  Their knowledge and skills made learning easier.  Also the push for experience and internships that UW-Whitewater made were what helped her get to her current position. So far I have only had one internship and I can already tell that it has improved my chances of getting other internships.  The experience it gave me in the PR industry is something I know I need to succeed and I am grateful for that.

After watching a great number of interviews of UW-Whitewater Alumni it is obvious that the education that UW-Whitewater provides is one that stands out from other universities.  I feel confident in being able to find a job after college because I know that UW-Whitewater has prepared me for the real world by giving me real world experience. 

-Alycia Richburg

5 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you that "every college student's biggest fear is not being able to find a job," but that we can learn from those who have had success stories after graduating from UW-Whitewater. I also found Rick Daniels interview to be one of my favorites-giving advice on staying current and keeping our work. I didn't comment on DiMotto's interview but I have to say during my year here I have yet to notice much "busy work." It's nice to know UW-Whitewater is preparing us for the real world as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe we wrote about two of the same videos! We have the same thoughts I guess! Great minds think alike I suppose! I completely agree that it is EVERY students biggest fear is that they are not going to find a job and it SUCKS! It is scary for some people to go out in the really would and find a job. I hope and think that I won't have any problem but I am keeping my fingers crossed! And I also agree that Whitewater's education program is one of the best and it stands out! Because of all the successful graduates that are out there already!

    -Erika Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to your feelings about UW-Whitewater and being confident in the quality of your education. That was definitely something that crossed my mind as I watched the videos. These days, I feel like I am always hearing stories of friends or family who are not finding success in the current job market, so it was really uplifting to hear grads from UW-W talk about their successes in this field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alycia, I had the same thoughts exactly when I saw Melissa's video, the fact that we are lucky enough to have such great professors here at UW-Whitewater really doesn't hit us until someone who has experienced the process we're all a part of tells us just how fortunate we actually are! Great blog post!

    -Dan Bristow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very grateful for the professors I've had during my college career and I am optmistic that their teaching will efficiently prepare me for the real world. The fear of not finding the ideal job looms over every student's head so don't be discouraged if you don't find the perfect one right away.

    -Cameron

    ReplyDelete