Sunday, October 27, 2013

Badger Honor Flight


The purpose of the Badger Honor Flight is to ensure that veterans have the opportunity to see the nation’s memorials that have been erected in their honor. All amenities are provided for the veterans during this flight, including all transportation, meals and lodging. Since their first flight in 2010 Badger Honor Flight has continued to make available a life changing experience to those who have survived their country; in WWII and Vietnam.  In addition these veterans are encouraged to bring family members to share in the experience. Those family members who are not part of the flight itself are invited to a welcoming ceremony upon the return of the flight. 


During this ceremony thousands of supporters rally together to welcome veterans and to thank them for their service.  I was personally able to attend the ceremony and was blown away by the emotional reaction of not only the family but the veterans themselves. For many this was the first time they were able to talk about their experience and to receive the thank you they deserved.  Despite the government shutdown that began weeks before hand the flight scheduled on October 19, 2013 went as planned.  The turnout was the largest volunteers had seen in years.  Definitely a humbling experience for outsiders and one that I recommend to others, especially those whose loved ones have served or a serving.

-Alycia Richburg




 

6 comments:

  1. It truly was a great opportunity to be able to witness the effect and emotions in the room when everyone returned from the Honor Flight. I really adore your photo you have posted as it's so great to see family of all ages out to support their loved ones. The energy in the room was on a different level and to be able to be a part of it is just an awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the picture is perfect too! But also, I didn't know it was one of the largest turnouts in a while. I was even more surprised to see it make front page of the Wisconsin State Journal this last Sunday! That's amazing press for Badger Honor Flight, and I think its a good sign that they are accepted within the Madison community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really captured a good moment in that photo. Definitely an experience I won't forget. The energy in the room was pretty unbelievable once the veterans got back. I'm glad the government shutdown didn't ruin the experience for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all this is the cutest picture I have seen of any classmates' so far. It is truly worth a thousand words! It's great to hear that the Badger Honor Flight is becoming more well-known in the Madison community. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alycia- Agreeing with everyone else, this is a very cute picture! It is a humbling experience to witness, I would have to agree with you on that. The amount of volunteers they had there was amazing, they were so helpful and excited to be apart of Badger Honor Flight. I am happy as well that the government shutdown did not disrupt this flight, it was a great experience to be apart of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alycia,

    That is an amazing photo that you captured there at the end of your blog post! There were so many people there for the homecoming of the veterans I could hardly believe it!

    I also am thankful that the government shutdown didn't hinder the flight from taking place. It would have been a shame to have these veterans miss out of this experience!

    ReplyDelete