On November 13, 2013 I attended a networking event at the Hudson in downtown Milwaukee sponsored by Big Shoes Network, Hudson Business Lounge and PRSA. The event consisted of two mock interviews and one information interview. I was very happy with my experience overall. I had never participated in a mock interview before and I found it to be very helpful. I’m also glad the majority of the professionals that were involved were UW-Whitewater graduates; it gave us an element in common and allowed for me to be more open to their criticism. There are a lot of aspects of my current job search that I plan on changing including but not limited to my resume and extracurricular activities. I know that the information I gained from this experience will help me in the future. The only aspect of the event I would change would be to set aside more time for additional interviews; three just didn’t feel like enough.
Jeff Carrigan with Big Shoes Network spoke before the mock interviews. He gave us insight into the world of communications and what makes individuals stand out to employers. Jeff stressed the importance of going the extra mile by doing research about the company and potentially for their clients. In many ways interactions with professionals are a stepping stone to a potential job opportunity and it’s important to make an impression. This presentation helped set a mood for the interviews to follow. As students this gave us the extra motivation to try our best and make an impression. With the hope of making some lasting connections I began my interviews.
The three professionals I interviewed
with: Kirsten Kozik, Anguil; Allison
Kubacki, Lightburn Designs; Alyssa
Hintzen, Kohl’s.
The first interview went really well. Kirsten was friendly and easy to talk to. I appreciated her willingness to go outside of the box. Instead of going off the sheet she asked me what how she could help me. This gave me the opportunity to ask advice regarding interview questions I have had difficulty with in the past. She also aided me in coming up with a new objective for my resume. I had expressed my concern with my previous objective and thought it might be helpful to get some professional insight. She told me to focus on what I could do for a potential employer not what I’m looking for in a job. These are things that I believe were personal affecting my ability to get a job and I am very glad she was willing to help me. Out of all of the interviews I felt that Kirsten’s was the most helpful. Perhaps this is because she was the first or because she recently graduated and I felt I had more in common with her.
The third interview was with Alyssa and it was an informal interview. I asked her questions regarding her current position at Kohl’s, what a typically day is like, the types of problems she has to deal with on a regular basis and how she deals with them. I wanted to focus of the negatives of the job so that I can better be prepared in the future. It’s important to be able to work under pressure and in conditions that are often unfamiliar. Alyssa explained that she is an Account Coordinator at Kohl’s and she oversees the production of the catalog. Her day to day work life is never the same, it’s always changing. As a result there are many problems that arise. One issue that she focused on was her inability to work with her boss directly. According to Alyssa she has to go through a series of people to speak with her boss and this makes for a lag in response time and often an extension of the already pressing deadline.
-Alycia Richburg

It's great to see that you got a lot out of the event! It really was a great learning opportunity for us all, even if it just reassured us that we were prepared in any interviewing setting.
ReplyDeleteI do agree with you on the fact that I would have loved to have more time. Having more time to either go further into conversation with the people we spoke with, or more time to talk to more professionals that were there.
Overall, this was a great post that summed up your experience well and provided great insight. :)
Alycia,
ReplyDeleteMy first interviewer also didn't use the question sheet provided, he and I just talked about whatever came up, what concerns I had, how he could help me. As great as mock interviews are, I thought this was more casual and I learned more than I would have had he asked me what my strengths and weaknesses are, like most interviews.
I also agree that more time would have been nice. We could have gotten even more out of the experience!
I also got to sit down and do an interview with Kirsten Kozik! She was very professional and gave me a lot of helpful advice for future interviews. The interviews in general were a bit casual but still fairly professional and I learned a great deal from the overall experience.
ReplyDeleteGood post though, I'm glad you found this event to be as helpful as I did.
I felt that this event was really helpful, and was happy with it overall as well. It was awesome that so many were UW-Whitewater graduates, it felt inspiring and made the interviews more relaxing. It's interesting to hear that Alyssa admitted it's an issue that she's unable to work with her boss.
ReplyDeleteGlad you got a lot out of this event!
I'll also vote on behalf of you and Ashley that more time would've been great! All three people I interviewed with were great people to talk to, and we felt rushed to finish talking after only 10 minutes. They did try to use the question sheet, but drifted into other questions, or side tracked to questions I wanted to ask them! Overall, such an awesome experience, and I hope they continue this!
ReplyDelete